There are a few things that we know to be universal truths: the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, everything is impermanent, and kids love pizza. It’s a crowd-pleasing favorite for all ages, from toddlers to teens. What would a sleepover be without a freshly-delivered pie? But not all pizza toppings are created alike. We’re here to help, with a list of easy, kid-friendly pizza toppings, so you and your family can move beyond plain cheese.
Just starting to introduce toppings into your family’s pizza order? Start simple, with just one or two ingredients.
- Tomatoes: Stick to the flavor profile that already exists in pizza with a topping like fresh tomatoes. They’re neither surprising nor particularly exotic, a great first step into toppings.
- Bell peppers: Mild and colorful, bell peppers are a good gateway topping. Plus, they’re easy to pick off in case of emergency. A win-win situation.
- Pepperoni: A classic for a reason, pepperoni adds zest without too much meatiness. Just beware of kids with a low tolerance for spice. If your family isn’t quite there yet, try ham or sausage.
Got kids who won’t eat their vegetables? Pizza might be able to help.
- Spinach: Kids who refuse to eat their spinach might try it atop a pizza. When it’s cooked and merges with the sauce and cheese, it’s an entirely different experience. Their iron levels will thank you.
- Broccoli: Ah, broccoli. The scourge of every kid’s dinner. But broccoli makes a mild and healthy pizza topping that may even convince the pickiest kids to eat their vegetables.
- Veggie Supreme: One way to get your kids to eat their vegetables? Mix them all together atop a pizza and hope they can’t identify what any of them are. Maybe they’ll be so distracted by the sauce and cheese they won’t even notice they’re basically eating a salad. We can dream.
Whether they’re a toddler just beginning to develop their palate or a teen who stubbornly sticks to their guns, we all have a picky kid in our lives. Here are some easy pizza topping combinations that can please even the pickiest eaters.
- Potato: Thin slices of succulent potato atop a pizza are one of life’s great pleasures, and it’s also as close as you can get to eating French fries atop a pizza. And who doesn’t love French fries?
- Bacon: Another food that, like pizza, is almost universally beloved. Does your picky eater like bacon? Then maybe they’ll surprise you and like it on top of their pizza?
Got a kid who’s willing to try anything? You’re in luck. The world of pizza is vast. Indulge their taste for adventure with an unexpected culinary journey.
- Barbecue Chicken: Mash two familiar, comforting meals together to create a pizza kids will love, even if they are skeptical at first.
- Pesto Pizzas and White Pies: Branch out from the traditional by ordering pizzas served without red sauce. Both are still relatively mild flavors, but they’re different enough from your regular Friday night pizza to be exciting.
- Pineapple: Throw down the gauntlet with a pineapple pizza and see how your kids respond. They’ll be disgusted or delighted, but either way you’ll get a cute reaction picture out of it.
— Alyssa Morris