Pizza is Italian and as American as apple pie. Or, if you go by the amount of pizza Americans eat in a year, even more so.
So, how much pizza does the average American eat in a year? We break it down:
By the slice:
- Americans eat an average of 46 slices of pizza per year (packaged facts, New York). This amounts to 23 pounds of pizza per year.
- Americans eat 350 slices of pizza per second
By the pie:
- Americans eat 3 billion pizzas per year, for a total of $38 billion spent by Americans annually on pizza
- The average American eats 40 pizzas a year
Over a lifetime
- The average American will eat 6,000 slices of pizza, according to one national chain’s survey
- If you do some math here, that breaks down to an average of eight slices a month, every month of your life
- Every day, 13% of the population eats some form of pizza
- In the US, a whopping 17% of restaurants are pizzerias (Food Industry News)
- New York City has 9,000 pizzerias
- And the country as a whole has 70,000 (Pizza Today)
Do your pizza habits greatly exceed those of the nation? Let us know, and prove your pizza fanatic bonafides.