A person cannot live on pizza alone. They must have pizza accompanied by side dishes. Complete your delivery dinner with these easy pizza sides, from salad to bread to meat. There’s something for everyone, because we think pizza pairs well with just about everything. In no particular order, here are the best sides to serve with pizza.
What to serve with pizza? More bread! Because you can never have too much of a good thing.
- Garlic knots: Garlic knots are served predominately in the northeast. Invented in Queens in 1973 as a way to use leftover scraps of pizza dough, the rolls are a quintessential part of a balanced pizza diet.
- Garlic cheese bread: It is a truth universally acknowledged that garlic cheese bread is an essential component of a pizza delivery order, coast to coast. At least we can all agree on this one delicious thing.
- Breadsticks: Yet another shape of bread to serve as a side dish for pizza. Breadsticks earn their place by being perfectly dippable, enjoyable as a vehicle for sauces and dressings.
Maybe you aren’t a meat lovers pizza kind of pizza fan, but you still want a hearty dose of protein with your dinner. Try one of these meaty side dishes.
- Chicken wings: another finger food that’s easy to eat on your couch – of course chicken wings pair well with pizza! While they originated in buffalo, chicken wings are a side dish of choice across the country, and particularly in the Midwest.
- Meatballs: commit to the Italian theme and pair your pizza with a side of meatballs. Hearty, flavorful, and delicious, you can even plop them right on top of your pizza.
Bring some vegetables into the mix by ordering a salad to be delivered alongside your pizza. The only question is, which kind reigns supreme?
- Caesar: Garlicky, crunchy, and refreshing, a Caesar salad is the perfect counterbalance to pizza. It adds a different texture to your meal but remains in the same flavor profile. Truly, the Johnny and June of the pizza pairing world.
- Greek: Lighter and more varied than a Caesar salad, a Greek salad also pairs well with your pizza delivery. The tang of the vinaigrette spices your meal up, and leftovers are perfect for dipping your pizza crust in.
- House: a house salad with ranch or Italian dressing will get you your allotment of vegetables and dressing just as well as a fancier salad will.
- French fries: French fries work as a side for everything. An American classic that pretends to be European is an excellent pairing for pizza.
- Mozzarella sticks: Another delicious, crunchy, fried side dish that can send your pizza dinner into the stratosphere. Is anything more satisfying than the stretch of mozzarella?
— Alyssa Morris